How to Change the Default Web Browser on Android
It’s easy to use another internet browser on Android. Here are the steps needed to change your default browser.
We use our web browsers so much throughout the day, whether it’s looking up random song lyrics we can’t quite place or bookmarking recipes or tips to come back to more late. And most of us usually support our Android’s default web browser, which is usually Google Chrome or Samsung Internet if you have a Samsung device.
But with how easy it is to change your phone’s default internet browser, you shouldn’t have to put up with a less than perfect browser. Google Chrome is an excellent web browser, but there are other more complete or private options like DuckDuckGo, Brave or Vivaldi.
Whichever web browser you switch to, here’s how to do it.
How to change your phone’s default web browser
Changing your phone’s default internet browser will only take a few minutes. It is important to note that before a new web browser appears as an option in your phone’s settings, you must download it from the Google Play Store.
Just follow these simple steps and you’ll be well on your way to better browsing.
- Open the Settings app on your Android smartphone.
- From there, press the apps tongue.
- Select now Default apps. If you don’t see this option, you may need to tap the three vertical dots in the upper right corner to find it.
- Press on browser app.
- From there choose your selected web browser from the ones you have downloaded from the Google Play Store and you are good to go.
If you have a Samsung phone, the directions are slightly different but still relatively similar.
- Open the Settings app on your Samsung smartphone.
- From there, press the apps tab then select Choose default apps.
- Press on browser app.
- From there choose your selected web browser which you downloaded from Google Play Store and you are done.
How many different web browsers are there?
There are a plethora of different web browsers to download, but here are some of the most popular:
- Google Chrome
- Microsoft Edge
Check out our guide to the best Android browsers for more details on this.
Browse the internet your way
Many web browsers mentioned above come with built-in ad or tracker blockers, which can help keep your browsing more private and secure. A few of them focus more on customizing the theme or UI layout than on privacy, and some support desktop extensions and add-ons.
So figure out what is important to you when browsing the internet and choose a default browser based on your needs.
The 7 Best Android Browsers With a Built-in VPN
About the Author