How to change the default web browser on iOS, in a few quick and easy steps
Safari is Apple’s web browser on its main operating systems – iOS, iPadOS and macOS. According to the company’s tests, this browser is faster and more energy efficient than its popular rivals. However, some users depend on other users for various reasons. For example, some people use Google Chrome on iPhone to sync their bookmarks and history with Chrome on their Windows PC, since Apple has discontinued Safari for PC. iOS 14 introduced the ability to change your default web browser on an iPhone. So when you click on a link, it opens in an app of your choice, rather than Safari by default. Follow the steps below to change the default browser on your iPhone.
How to Change the Default Web Browser on iOS
- Make sure your iPhone is running iOS 14 or later in the Settings app.
- Go to the App Store and click on the Search tab in the lower right corner.
- Tap the search bar at the top and search Navigator.
- Check the list of results and choose the one that interests you the most.
- Download it and wait for it to install on your iPhone.
- Launch it from its App Store page or home screen.
- Head to the Settings app and scroll down to the app you just installed.
- Click on the default browser application.
- Choose the app you just installed.
- There it is ! Now, whenever you click on a link, it automatically loads in the newly set default web browser.
- If you change your mind, you can always switch back to Safari by following the same steps.
Choosing your default web browser is a handy feature that makes life easier for those who need it. Prior to iOS 14, users had to copy and paste a link into their favorite web browsing app. Clicking it instead would still default to Safari – which is a major annoyance for those who don’t use it as their primary browser.
What web browser do you use on your iPhone? Let us know in the comments section below.